The Amicable Building at N. 5th and Austin Avenue was built for the American Amicable Life Insurance Company by Sanguinet and Staats. Construction began in August, 1910 and it was officially opened in August 1911. It is 282 feet tall and contains 22 floors plus a basement and an observation tower. There is a 23rd floor, but there is no 13th floor. Until 1929, it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi River and south of the Mason-Dixie Line. The “ALICO” sign atop the building was installed in 1958, with the final “O” being installed on October 10, 1958.