The historic Waco Square was one block west of The Suspension Bridge. Bridge Street led from The Suspension Bridge to the Square. The Square was between 2nd and 3rd Streets and North Square Street and Southside Square Street. The Square sat at the easternmost end of Austin Avenue. Waco City Hall was located in the middle of the Square. The Square suffered heavy damage in the 1953 tornado, but much of it was rebuilt. Urban Renewal in the late 1960s and early 1970s removed the Square from our city, and all that remains is Waco City Hall.
South Side of Square, 1909 Austin Avenue meets the Square at the right. Waco City Hall, 1912 Bird’s Eye View of the Square, 1910 From the American Amicable Building. Bird’s Eye View of the Square, 1910 From the American Amicable Building. North Side of the Square, 1916 Preparing to clean up debris after a flood. North Side of the Square, 1915 1915 Texas Cotton Palace Parade Texas Governor Jim Ferguson seated next to man in white. North Side of the Square, 1915 1915 Texas Cotton Palace Parade South Side of the Square, 1909 The Square was located a half block north of Franklin Avenue. First National Bank West Side Square S. 3rd at Banker’s Alley Waco Saddlery Company “Percy Willis on the Square” Jurney Hardward, c. 1910 219 North Side Square View of Square from Old Post Office S. 4th and Franklin The Square, c. 1880 Major George B. Erath (circled) at center left under Lone Star Banner. The Square around time of Civil War The Square visible in this Artist/Balloonist Concept of Waco, 1873 City Hall Fountain frozen. West Side of Square. Masonic Hall at S.3rd and Austin, First National Bank, Bismark Saloon. City Hall on Flag Day, 1898 The Waco Square, South Side, 1912 Kate Friend animal fountain on the Square. Waco City Hall on the left, old McLennan County Courthouse tower at right. Looking up Austin from City Hall steps, 1898. View of parade on Austin Avenue from City Hall steps, 1897 Waco Fire Department demonstrates a new pumper, 1907 Salvation Army Christmas Party on the North Side of Square, 1914 S. 3rd and Austin Avenue view from Waco City Hall, c. 1916 The West Side of the Squre (S. 3rd St.) badly damaged in the 1953 tornado. Second McLennan County Courthouse on the Square, c.1865 West Side of Square, c. 1865 Masonic Temple Fire, West Side of Square SW Corner of 3rd and Austin July 18, 1909 Bird’s Eye View from the old McLennan County Courthouse at S. 2nd and Franklin Avenue Aerial view, shot from a plane, of the Square with the old City Hall. Before 1930. North Side of Square N.3rd and North Side Square Street South Side of Square S. 3rd and South Side Square Street Pete’s Hamburgers South Side of Square S.3rd and South Side Square Street This photo of the Square reflects damage and reconstructionafter the 1953 tornado. West Side of the Square. South 3rd and Banker’s Alley Herrick Hardware North Side of Square Washington Avenue behind it The First McLennan County Courthouse SW Corner of the Square, at S. 3rd Street City Hall Fountain Frozen, 1909 West Side of Square 3rd and Austin Intersection in distance The 1930 Waco City Hall East Side of Square and Bridge Street From atop Waco City Hall City of Waco Workers on South Side of Square, 1948 N.3rd and North Side Square Street 100 Block of N. 3rd Street, July 5, 1951 West Side of Square Waco Square 1952 100 Block N. 3rd June,1970 South Side of Square March, 1969 North Side Square, looking West March, 1969 West Side Square, 2nd Street looking South S. 3rd Street, looking south from City Square March, 1969 100 Block of N. 3rd From Washingto Avenue, looking South March, 1969 100 Block of N. 3rd From Washingto Avenue, looking South March, 1969 100 block of S. 3rd, looking South March, 1969 100 block of S. 3rd March, 1969 100 block of S. 3rd March, 1969 North Side of City Square, looking West March, 1969