The Waco Suspension Bridge was the first bridge to cross the Brazos River. The Waco Bridge Company was formed in 1866 and hired architect Thomas M. Griffith to design the bridge. Construction began in 1866. Constructed by John H. Roebling, the main suspension of the single-span Suspension Bridge is 475 feet. The Towers and Bridge contain 3 million bricks, all made in Waco. When it opened on January 7, 1870, it was a toll bridge. It was purchased by McLennan County in 1889 for $75,000 and sold to the city of Waco for $1. It knew pedestrian, cattle, and horse and buggy traffic, then later automobile traffic. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, and today the well-loved bridge serves as a pedestrian bridge and tourist attraction.