From “Waco Heritage and History” Winter/Spring 1988
Published by The Historic Waco Foundation
For more information, or to join, please contact:
Although Spring Lake Country Club existed for only a few years, the glowing memories of the happy times there are bright within those who knew it. The club was located on 125 acres of rolling hills, trees and lakes just north of town and was considered to be the most beautiful country club site in Texas. From 1903 to 1917, the area was owned by Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Day and was a recreational area known as Day’s Spring Lake. Newspaper accounts from that time recall it as a favorite Fourth of July spot for Wacoans escaping the city’s heat where political orations, lemonade, swimming, boating and fishing brought people by buggy, surry, and horseback.
In 1917, a corporation was formed to organize Spring Lake Country Club and the scenic land was purchased from the Days. With the intervention of WWI, construction of the clubhouse was delayed until 1920.
The 18-hole golf course soon became known throughout the State as one of its most challenging and beautiful courses. With narrow fairways, rolling hills, and lakes, Spring Lake was the site of many championships and State Invitational tournaments.
Social life also gravitated to Spring Lake with many families having summer cottages by the Lakes on the club grounds. Many a Sunday afternoon was spent on family picnicking by the lake. By the early 1930s however, the depression had caught Spring Lake in its net, and the Club began struggling for survival.
Mr. Tom f. Bush, one of the State’s leading cotton men, bought the club property in 1931 to try to save it by operating the golf course and club. Attempts were made at reorganization, but none were successful. Spring Lake closed with Mr. Bush’s death in 1939.
(Authored by HWF Staff in 1988)